Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tulip Time.
(This post is dedicated to Sheryl, my friend from Pella, who has always been proud of her hometown. She "introduced" it to me when we were roommates in Istanbul in 2000.)

Last week Jason and I ventured out to Pella, Iowa for Tulip Time. Pella is a small Dutch community about 45 minutes away from Des Moines. They are famous for their tulips in the Spring - the whole town was covered in the lovely spring flowers. We enjoyed walking all over town and the dutch fair food - potato ribbons (thinly sliced fried potatoes - yum!), poffertjes (tiny pancakes served with strawberries and whipped cream), and dutch letters (the signature Iowa cookie). Pella is a great little town and we enjoyed the chance to celebrate Spring...Here are a couple of pictures of the tulips.

1 comment:

Jack and Sheryl said...

No way! I can't believe you went to Tulip Time! You probably saw half my relatives and didn't even know it! :) I'm glad you enjoyed Pella...hopefully you went on a day with good weather. And I'm so glad you had some poffertjies in my place!