Friday, April 30, 2010

Dark Chocolate Microwave Brownies

These little jewels are an after-pregnancy-I-really-gotta-lose-these-extra-25-lbs dieter's dream. If you are not a huge fan of dark chocolate, you can back off the cocoa a bit and they are still very yummy. Oh, and the best part? They are ready in less than 5 minutes! Perfect when you need a fix but are not willing to bust the whole diet plan with the real thing.

Ingredients:
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 c raw sugar
1/4 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c vanilla soy milk (or almond milk, or rice, whatever kind you drink that's low fat)
a handful of chocolate chips

Directions:
Mix wet ingredients in a bowl, except for soy milk. Then add dry ingredients, except for chocolate chips. Use soy milk to make the batter like brownie batter - it takes about 1/2 cup. Just add slowly and stir it till it looks like real brownie batter. Then stir in the chocolate chips.

Spray a microwave-safe dish (I use a pyrex 8" round) with baking spray and pour the batter in. Microwave it for 4-5 minutes on high. I do closer to 4 minutes because I like 'em gooey, but if you want them to be more fully cooked, do 5 minutes. They are best when they are still warm. You'll also have to resist the temptation to cover them with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. That, folks, is a Southern tradition, but it doesn't help keep these in the "decent tasting diet dessert" category. That would automatically qualify it for the "this used to be diet, but then I went and added stuff that will make me fat" category.

I'd include a picture, but I ate them all. Does that mean they still qualify as "diet"? Not sure...but they were so delicious I couldn't resist. =)

1 comment:

Leigh Anne said...

R U kidding me?!?! These sound awesome!! I'm gonna make a batch right now. I'm still working on losing those last stubborn 5 lbs and I'm 13 mos ppd (1 month post-BF). So, these will be perfect for my diet ;)

BTW - made the horsey cupcakes for Nate's b-day party and they were a HUGE hit!! Turned out super cute....thx for the advice. I ordered a bag of mixed circus peanuts online so I had orange, pink & white. I used the white w/ the chocolate necks, but I had to make so many that I used the pink & orange ones too. The little girls at the party LOVED the pink horses! I also made the "Old Swampy" alligator cupcakes for Ethan and he LOVED it. Thanks for the Hello, Cupcake recommendation.

Hopefully the newborn fog continues to lift in your neck of the woods. I remember those days....longing for STTN so desperately ;) Hang in there.....he will be there before you know it!
Blessings,
Leigh Anne