Thursday, May 17, 2012

Master Bedroom Makeover

 Since moving into our new house in September, I have been quite overwhelmed with the amount of "projects" to be completed.  Most every room needed new furniture, things on the wall, etc.  No small task for a very busy Mama!  Thankfully, though, I finally made it around to my master bedroom.  It was bland and much in need of a new touch.  I am very pleased with the makeover I did on a small budget....


BEFORE...way too dark.  Dark furniture, dark linens and only one lamp. (we have had that lamp since our condo in Des Moines where there was only space for one nightstand and one lamp)  Not exactly the look I wanted to keep long term....because Mommy needs a lamp too.  Maybe someday I will have lots of energy for reading before bed, ya know?

I really wanted a new bed, new linens, hardwood floors, crown molding, and a new paint color.  But those things were not in the budget. =)  And, yes, I'm aware that I sound like a big brat with that laundry list of wants.  What can I say, people...?  This is what HGTV has done to us!

I decided that an upholstered headboard was the way to go, but I was not excited about the options I could find in stores and on Amazon.  They all looked cheap and uninteresting to me.  But I found this awesome blog post on how to make your own headboard.  The directions were so easy and I didn't need a lot of tools/supplies.  I love how it turned out!  I chose a lovely linen fabric - my choice was expensive, but you could find WAY cheaper options - and it was still cheaper than the cheapest option on Amazon.


Then I decided that I needed something to go above my lovely new headboard.  I already had this (fave) wedding photo in a great frame, so I decided to do a photo collage above it.


I decided to enlist a friend - a photographer with a great eye for decorating - in my task.  I knew I wanted black and white photos but wasn't sure about the arrangement and framing details.  She sent me this great tool to help with the task:  

(click to enlarge)

And here we have the finished product.  A lovely arrangement of favorite family photos to complete my master bedroom look.  I also had room in my budget for new lamps and all new linens for the bed.  I got everything at my local Homegoods (a Ross or TJ Maxx type store).


I am so happy with my new room!  I took the time to blog about it because it seems that everyone has a small budget for decorating these days.  Maybe you could redo your master too...for less than you'd think.

And just in case you can't see the photos in the collage that well, here they are.  They are some of my favorites so I am proud to share them all over again on the blog.  It is so great to be able to see these favorite family moments everyday.





Three cheers for decorating on a dime!

4 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

Awesome job Nicole! That headboard really makes the room. Three cheers indeed for DIY :) I've wanted an upholstered headboard and yours turned out fab. Thanks so much for sharing! Love the cute pics you chose too :)

amy said...

Your headboard is awesome. I love it. Now i want to head out to homegoods and see if I can find new bedding. (Ours was perfect 9 years ago but I'm a little tired of it!)

Amy

Keri Sheckler said...

Love the headboard. You have always been a great decorator. Thanks for posting the pic layouts. I just might have to put them to use.

home builders Missouri said...

I have to admit, the transformation is just awesome. You really did an incredible work on this. The color combinations are also perfect. The lamps are so dainty and the picture arrangement is also a winner. Thank you for this post and also for that picture arrangement guide. By the way, your baby looks so cute!