Friday, May 05, 2006


Caution: Big Turns Ahead

So, it looks like I'll be taking a few turns in the coming months...

For the past year or so, I have really wondered if this is it for me. This being serving as a faculty member at a great Christian university in Southern California. I have loved several aspects of this job. I have loved the fact that every day I get to influence students to think beyond themselves and look towards a world in need of Christ. I have loved walking alongside so many college girls and advising them about issues like accessories and boys and everything in between. (Of course, always coupled with my honest confession that I don't know it all, I'm just happy to listen and talk about it.) I have loved being in an environment with colleagues who are always full of thoughtful conversations and new ideas about how to teach and challenge students. But, even with all of these things I've loved...

I've discovered that I don't quite fit in academia. I'd much rather be out there doing what I'm challenging my students to do. Everyday I stand in front of them and say "Go out from here and take the gospel with you wherever you go - in business, into the classroom, into the arts & music - into the WORLD. Jesus is way too valuable to be relegated to Sundays mornings, so be Christians that actually live like them. When you do, the world will notice." Having this as my driving theme for the past two years was bound to get to me at some point. Now, I get to step out and seize the opportunity to use my skills and education in the working world. Serving at CBU has been a tremendous opportunity for me, and I am truly grateful for the time I've spent here. But it's clear the time has come for me to move on...

Move on to what, you ask? Well, that's a good question...one I'm not quite sure I know how to answer yet. All I know at this point is that I am searching out various job opportunities. Texas, NYC, Washington DC - they've all been on the table. So, I am starting the job search and praying like crazy God will direct me to the right place. I know He will. He has proven Himself faithful too many times for me not to trust Him.

I am really glad this path is full of curves. I wouldn't do well on the straight, cruise-controlled, predictable, and adventure-less road...that path lacks excitement and speed. Just check with anyone who knows me well, and they'll tell you that I've got the driving record to prove it.

No comments: