My Baby Boy is 1.
Over the weekend we had so much fun celebrating our one-year-old boy. Hard to believe that it's been a year since Alex joined our family. It seems like he's always been here...well, I guess since he arrived about 9 months after we got married, I guess he sort of has been. =) There are so many things I love about being a mom that it would be impossible to name them all in this post. But for the sake of writing things down on this blog/journal that my kids will look at someday, here's a little list things I love about being a mommy of a one-year-old:
1. I love to sit and read books with Alex. He's old enough now to turn the pages and lift the flaps on the peekaboo books. For some reason, this makes me so proud!
2. I love that he sucks his thumb and lays his head on my shoulder before he gets into his bed. He'd cuddle like that for hours if I'd let him.
3. When he wakes up in the morning or from a nap, he babbles happily. Lately his favorite thing to say is "dadda". I always try to convince Jason that at 6:00 a.m., Alex is really needing him instead of me, but he never takes the bait.
4. He is army crawling all over the house now...mostly to wherever I am. I'm not sure how to train him not to follow me, but you know what? Someday soon he's probably going to start running away from me, so for now I'll take joy in my little shadow.
5. I always have an excuse if there's a stain on my shirt. Seriously, I have never been the type to pull things out of the hamper to wear, but these days it's way more tempting seeing as most of my clothes look like they came from there anyways. I know, I know, some of you are probably thinking that you will always be a stylish mom and keep up a decent looking closet. But believe me, it's not as easy as you think!
6. Alex is really becoming a social creature these days. He is really into smiling at cashiers and people he sees out in public. I'll admit it, it is so sweet to hear from a complete stranger, "what a beautiful baby!" Nothing makes a mama more proud.
7. Everyday (and sometimes twice a day), Alex and I head out in the stroller for a walk or run. We usually end up at the park where he loves to swing. This has been a new discovery for him...it makes him seem like such a big boy.
8. I nursed Alex for the last time on the morning of his birthday. I am thankful I got the opportunity to be such a big part of my baby's nutrition for the first year of his life.
9. I love that he is making himself laugh out loud these days. He laughs when he's playing with his toys or splashing in the tub. It is so cute to think about how entertained his little mind is by the simplest things.
10. As we prepare for the arrival of another baby in March, I find myself wanting to hold on to every minute of babyhood with Alex. Soon there will be another Baby around here and Alex will take on the role of Big Brother. Part of me can't wait and part of me wishes this pregnancy would move slowly so I can soak up every minute of fun with my firstborn.
p.s. If you are interested in seeing pictures of Alex's sweet cowboy birthday party, check them out on our family blog.